Countryside Access Management Ltd. advises, assists and represents landowners on a broad range of matters connected with public rights of way and access. We have specialist knowledge of the complex legal and procedural issues inherent in public rights of way and extensive experience of dealing with problems that land owners and managers face.

In particular we are able to assist with the following:

  • Diversion of public rights of way to enhance security, privacy, safety or to provide for better management of land:  We undertake liaison with the council and other parties on behalf of landowners wishing to divert public rights of way. We make applications for public path diversion orders under the Highways Act 1980 and represent landowners throughout the legal process. We have significant expertise in negotiating the diversion of public paths away from farm buildings, dwellings and gardens.
  • Diversion of public rights of way to enable development to take place:  We negotiate with the council and make applications for orders to divert public rights of way under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 where the line of a path needs to be diverted before development can commence. We provide representation on behalf of the applicant throughout the legal process and have a long track record of successfully securing the diversion of paths to facilitate development.
  • Claimed or disputed paths:  We undertake detailed investigations into the legal existence of public rights of way, collect historical and other evidence and assess it in order to determine a path’s true legal status, and correspond accordingly with the council on behalf of landowners. We represent landowners where paths are disputed or subject to applications for modification orders under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
  • Prevention of claims for public rights of way: We arrange for deposits to be made with the highway authority under Section 31(6) of the Highways Act 1980 to ensure that public rights of way cannot be secured on the basis of use.
  • Advice on landowner rights and liabilities: We provide detailed advice on the legal rights of the public to the use of rights of way and how a landowner might be affected. We assist and correspond with councils and other parties on behalf of landowners where there is a cause for concern.
  • Negotiations and liaison with the council in respect of the maintenance of public paths, obstructions, stock control, land management and other issues. We advise and represent landowners where farming and land management interests conflict with the existence of a public right of way.
  • Access land: We provide advice and representation on the legal provision and management of open access land under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000, and assist with problems and disputes that may arise as a result.
  • Motor vehicular use of public rights of way: We liaise with highway authorities and other parties in order to secure management proposals to mitigate problems and concerns caused by motor vehicles using public rights of way. We also undertake investigation into the correct legal status of routes in order to determine the true extent of the rights of the public.
  • Equestrian and cycling use of public rights of way: We advise on the rights of the public, carry out investigations into the legal status of bridleways and other routes and represent landowners who experience problems.
Copyright © Countryside Access Management Limited,  20012. All rights reserved. 
Registered in England and Wales no. 06458765. Registered Office: Talwrn, Cwmystwyth, Ceredigion SY23 4AD